Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Madison Whitney Grant-Birth Story

I wanted to take the time to document Madison's birth story so that one day she has it. Not that I will ever forget it, and I am sure I will remind her of it at EVERY birthday, but she is currently peacefully sleeping in her swing and I can't help but think back to that day. This will be a long post so bare with me!!

Despite having a very easy going pregnancy, there was a minor issue with only having a 2 vessel cord which caused me to have weekly NST's (non stress tests) and growth scans starting at 30 weeks. Madison was measuring smaller than average and at 34 weeks was only at the 15th percentile. My Dr told me that at 38 weeks if she didn't show improvement in her growth, we would induce so I should plan for that. That appointment came, and I mentally prepared myself to potentially be induced that day. However, she showed progress and was now at the 38th percentile so no induction. Her due date came and went and there was no sign of Madison wanting to make an appearance. I was starting to get nervous because my dr was leaving the country on the 17th of October and the only day she was working between the 11th and the 17th was the 16th. I spent all this time trusting and getting to know her that I didn't want someone else to deliver Madison. I went to an appointment 4 days past my due date and we scheduled an induction for the following week. I was sad that it was going to be another week before they would induce and that she would not deliver Madison.

On October 15th, I was working from home and went on an hour long walk midday. It was sunny and warm for October and I remember thinking that if my water broke while walking I was going to have to call someone to pick me up because I wasn't close to the house. When I got back I decided to do a WOD (workout of the day) in the garage. This was all merely to help get my mind off the fact that I still had a week to go and who knows, maybe it would kick start something. :) I did 3 rounds of 400 meter walk on treadmill and 20 sumo deadliest at 75#. Then that evening I went for another walk and did 100 air squats. Cody made us a nice dinner of chicken on the treager and grilled veggies. That evening about 10:30 I was starting to feel something kind of weird. I was trying to time how often these weird feelings came but I was never good about timing any weird feeling. I never knew if they were contractions or just something to do with pregnancy. I told Cody I was feeling off and if I was timing correctly I was feeling this weird thing about every 5-6 minutes. He told me I should call the dr but I decided not to since they weren't painful. Oh, I should also note that while laying on the couch my dog started sniffing my stomach like crazy. It was like she was looking for something. SO WEIRD!! At 12:30 AM I told Cody I was still feeling those weird feelings but they were every 3-5 minutes. They still weren't painful but I decided to just call the on call dr just in case. She told me that if they got painful to just go in but otherwise just wait it out because it could be braxton hicks since I wasn't feeling pain. I decided to just go to sleep because I was tired of timing them and really didn't think it was anything. Well, at 1:50AM I woke up due to my water breaking. I remember running to the bathroom yelling at Cody that I think my water broke. It was all so surreal. I called the dr back and told her and she said to come in. I called my parents to let them know (they wanted me to call even if it was the middle of the night) and quickly jumped in the shower. Meanwhile Cody was in the bedroom CLEANING THE CARPET. LOL Only Cody…I still laugh at that. About 30 minutes later we gave Mia food and water and headed for the truck. I was sad leaving Mia and it was weird to think the next time we were home I would have a baby. I was finally starting to feel actual pain when we got into the truck.The pain came on quick and was all in my back.

When we got to the hospital and checked into triage they told me I needed to go walk around. This was at 3AM!! Were they serious?? We walked outside around the hospital in downtown Seattle with contractions at 3 AM!! The contractions were getting so bad and they were only in my back. I never felt any pain in the front. After our walk we sat in triage for a few more hours and then at 6:30 they got us our room. The pain was getting worse but I was holding out on getting the epidural. At 9:30 the nurse gave me some type of medication that was suppose to take the pain away but basically just put me to sleep for an hour. I woke up and the pain was unbearable but when they checked me I was only at a 3! I felt like such a wuss but the nurse did say back labor is worse then normal labor..maybe that was just to make me feel better. :) I wanted to hold out until a 5 or 6 so I still turned down the epidural. At 12:30 the pain was soooo bad that even trying to walk I would hunch over and the nurse and Cody would put pressure on my back. It was too uncomfortable to lay because again, all the pain was in my back. I decided to get the epidural at that time and OMG why didn't I get that sooner??? That stuff is AMAZING!! Getting it was super painful, especially since I had a contraction right when they put the needle in but it quickly disappeared. My dr told me I was still only at a 4. A 4?? That pain felt way worse!! She said I probably wouldn't have her until that evening. We prepared ourselves for a long day. I tried to get some rest and around 2:15 Cody went to get some food. My Dr came in at 2:30 to check me and I told her I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom and what I should do since I couldn't walk. She said I couldn't do anything and then when she checked me she told me I was a 10 and a +2 so I was having a baby within the hour! I couldn't believe it! I told her she had to find Cody and she had to leave to cancel some afternoon appointments. At 3:15 she was back and they were prepping me (Cody was back by then). I started pushing at 3:30 and Madison Whitney Grant was born at 3:50PM on October 16th, weighing in at 7lbs, 8oz and 20 inches long. She was beautiful and perfect.

5 days late but she decided to come when our dr could deliver which was perfect and 20 minutes of pushing was all I needed to get her out. I was definitely blessed with a great pregnancy and birth. Crossfit up until my deliver date definitely helped! It was so surreal. It felt like she was never going to come and then all of a sudden it seemed to happen so quickly. It was the best hour of my life when they laid her on my chest and I will never forget that feeling of seeing her for the first time. I love that little girl sooooo much! And to the women that choose not to get an epidural….WOW you are some TOUGH WOMEN!!!




No comments: